Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Spaghetti Squash Dinner

       So tonight I made spaghetti squash for my family. None of them had ever had it before. My mom and I had been talking this afternoon about eating healthier and somehow I ended up telling her about the squash. I'm really glad I made it because it was a giant success. If you have never had it before I highly recommend you trying it. Today I will finish my blog entry with the recipes.  I'm so glad it's still in season too. Spaghetti squash can mostly be found in fall and summer. Unfortunately my phone was dead and I was too hungry so I didn't get a picture for you. Next time!
Alright so the dinner itself. We had some chicken breasts thawed so I marinated those with a quick marinade I threw together. (Which I cannot forget how I did it because it was amazing!) Then we picked up some zucchini and the squash. I will admit I cheated slightly in a fully homemade meal. I used a canned sauce. Before you cry out you really can find some good ones out there. We have been using the canned pasta sauce by Hunts. I have to say its pretty much the same as making it from scratch. If your in a hurry or if your feeling lazy it the perfect solution.
Also by using the squash we didn't have a starch for the meal. We used the squash in place of say pasta. Its a great way to cut out some of those unwanted carbs from starches and get a little more vegetables into your day.

To put the the plate together I just did a spoonful of squash on the bottom, then pasta sauce on top. Chicken topping that and zucchini on the side.

And now for the recipes:

Chicken Marinade:
        (I made this like a vinaigrette)
         1 tsp dijon mustard
         1 tsp Dried Oreganon
         1 tsp Dried Basil
         1 tsp Garlic Salt
         Salt and pepper to taste
         1 tbsp Blood Orange Olive Oil
         3tbsp Olive Oil
         Makes about 4 large Chicken Breast's

Spaghetti Squash:
          Cut the squash in half and then rub each side in salt, pepper, and olive oil. Put them face down on a cookie sheet or a baking pan. Throw it in the oven for about 35 to 45 minutes and 350 degrees. Leave it in there until tender. After you take it out of the oven let it cool for a couple minutes. Then you take a fork and lightly pull the meat away from the sides. It should come off in strings just like spaghetti (hence the name).

For the Zucchini I just steamed it. But you can grill, roast or even just saute. Cook it any way you would like. Also for the sauce I just heated it up on the stove.

I hope this will be enjoyed by some. I know not many see this but if you do and know someone who would appreciate this please pass it on! Leave me feed back too. I would love to know how this comes out if you give it a try! Even add a picture!

1 comment:

Amber said...

Awesome! Lol, my last blog was about spaghetti squash too, except I baked mine naked and face up :) I'll have to try your marinade, it sounds great!